I thought maybe it is permission issues, because the OAB folder did not have all the permissions set in this article... I will just let it try to replicate tonight and see what happens.It needs to be run on Exchange shell on Exchange server :) Look ideally the OAB update happens everyday at midnight so either you wait for sometime or once update happens need to check if its few days then if OAB is getting generated on the Mailbox server "Exchange OAB" folder and Transferred to CAS server and "OAB" folder is updated with same GUID folder and LZX files till today.- Rancy Yes thats the update on Mailbox if for some reason FDS service on CAS cannot pull thats where the clients (Outlook) will pull the OAB data from.The problem is that although we are updating the groups when we go to send from Outlook 2007 the groups are still the same as when they were first created and have not been updated with new users.Is there a way to remedy this without the need to recreate the groups?So if you see the data in "Exchange OAB" on Mailbox server but not in "OAB" folder in CAS try restarting the FDS service on CAS server wait for sometime and check - Rancy I restarted the FDS and then ran the command to update again.
I ran the command on the mailbox server, then went to client and updated the address book again and it does not have new names.I checked the "hide address book from global list" option.That is not updating either on the outlook clients, but is in OWA. However this new user is not updating on the global address books for outlook (its not there), however the address book for OWA does update - Its a OAB issue and not GAL try with the below command and then Update the "Address Book" on the client and check Get-Offline Address Book | Update-Offline Address Book - Rancy Squarespace’s all-in-one platform gives you everything you need to express yourself creatively online, whether it is with a domain, website, or online store. At the moment we have an issue with the Global Address List.We have created some distribution groups in Active Directory containing some users but as time goes on the users change.I tried doing the optionsoad address book on the client and that did not change. I tried a few other outlook clients and they are doing the same thing.